2013 in review

The WordPress.com stats helper monkeys prepared a 2013 annual report for this blog.

Here's an excerpt:

The concert hall at the Sydney Opera House holds 2,700 people. This blog was viewed about 8,700 times in 2013. If it were a concert at Sydney Opera House, it would take about 3 sold-out performances for that many people to see it.

Click here to see the complete report.

How Far Did Javert Fall?

How Far Did Javert Fall?

In which I answer a question posed to me via a webpage...

This post will be in the style of What-If XKCD without the awesome diagrams and scroll-over text.

So a good friend of mine recently posed the question "How far did Javert fall?" by the medium of this webpage: http://www.mathalicious.com/lesson/the-fall-of-javert/. I clicked on the webpage expecting an entertaining answer to the question but sadly found it was actually an exercise left to the reader. I realise this is a lesson plan but humour me.

Proper Gradients for MetaPost Pulse Sequences

Proper Gradients for MetaPost Pulse Sequences

In which I improve upon the previous post...

In yesterday's post I talked about using MetaPost to generate Pulse Sequence Diagrams for MRI documents. I have been using this to make nice diagrams for my Thesis. There is one problem, however, with the pulse sequence file provided on Mark's website - it generates square gradients.

Pulse Sequence Diagrams Using Metapost

Pulse Sequence Diagrams Using Metapost

In which I use MetaPost to generate publication quality pulse sequence diagrams...

Pulse sequences are the series of radio-frequency pulses required to generate an MR image. If you are an MR Physicist you will see these a lot and probably wondered how can I generate nice pulse sequences for my thesis, papers etc. Well handily using MetaPost and these files you can!

Osmanthus Green: Thesis, YouTube, Update!

Osmanthus Green: Thesis, YouTube, Update!

In which I review some floral green tea and update you on my life...

Thesis Writing

So thesis writing is fully under-way  now and my supervisors assure me that writing will get harder and longer as it continues - fun, fun, fun!

It takes me a while to get into writing but I expect I'll make a video about Thesis writing soon. I actually quite enjoy writing though so I hope I'll be able to keep the pace up and stay on schedule :)

Word 2010: How to Insert Numbered Equations Properly

Word 2010: How to Insert Numbered Equations Properly

In which I run through a useful tip that Microsoft managed to just miss explaining...

The Problem

If you, like me, are in the process of writing a long scientific document which requires multiple reviewers to be able to view changes you may sadly be saddled with using Microsoft Word.* Now, in defence of Microsoft, they have definitely improved the way Word works. Using track changes, Mendeley and with a little bit of tinkering you can have a passable writing experience and be able to send documents out for review by your supervisors. They've even included an equation editor that allows you to put equations in your document and save them for later use.

Sadly in formal scientific writing we often like things to look nice, pretty and numbered like this...

Lost A Pint Of Blood? Replace It With Tea!

Lost A Pint Of Blood? Replace It With Tea!

In which I discuss the safest way to lose blood and it's proper replacement...

Blood Donation

So I want to take a break today from PhD based ramblings to talk about giving blood. Did you know that 96% of people rely on the other 4% for blood donations? [1] Maybe you've not thought about it before or are a little worried about what it entails so I'll tell you now that it mostly involves biscuits, drinking and sitting down. Easy eh?

Project 002: First Clue

In which I start teasing my Halloween costume...

So here's the deal:

  • 4 clues in the run-up to Halloween 2013.
  • Each a cropped picture that is readily Google-able.
  • You need to find the original picture.
  • And use that to try and work out what costume I'm going for.
  • Answers on a postcard to tom@tinkertailorsoldiersponge.com
  • Comments will be disabled on these posts - no giving away the answers!

Dear B.T.

Dear B.T.

In which I moan about BT...

Dear British Telecom (BT),

Last year I had the pleasure of enjoying BT Infinity. In a student house of five I don't recall ever experiencing slow internet or any outages. Naturally when I moved to a new house I was more than happy to start a contract with you. I was even looking forward to having a landline for the first time.