In which I attempt to bake the cake from Portal...
Since I keep promising CAOS that the cake is indeed not a lie I thought I should probably attempt to bake the cake from Portal.
While the cake might not have ended up looking exactly like the one pictured it is very tasty.
- 175g salted butter
- 400g dark chocolate
- 300g self raising flour
- 375g golden caster sugar
- 25g cocoa
- 2 medium eggs
- 200g buttermilk
- 100ml boiled water
- 425g pitted cherries
- 100g morello cherry jam
- 4 tbsp kirsch
- 500ml double cream
- Mix chocolate mixture & egg mixture into dry ingredients.
- Add boiling water then whisk until smooth.
- Pour mixture into three 9-inch cake tins.
- Bake at 180°C for 25 minutes.
- Pour 2 tbsp of kirsch over each cake.
- Leave to cool.
- Mix drained cherries and jam.
- Heat 200ml of cream and the remaining chocolate until melted.
- Allow chocolate mixture to cool.
- Whisk the remaining cream until thickened.
- Spread jam, cherries and cream over the bottom two cakes.
- Stack the cakes.
- Cover in chocolate mixture and allow to cool.