In which I run down the basics of the diet I'm currently following...
So I'm happy to report I'm already down 4 kilos from the start of Tom 3.0 :D Let's get onto discussing the diet!
So I've based the basic concept on information found at Bodybuilding.com & Mens Health.* My idea was to follow a strict six pack diet plan for around a month as though it is unlikely to give me a six pack it should help with weight loss. Also it is clearly working currently :)
*The second one is definitely worth a read even if it is just for the terrible attempt to shoe-horn the power foods suggested into the acronym ABS DIET POWER.
At the start I was on 94 kg (207 lbs) and at 9-13 calories a day that means I should be eating between 1,861 - 2,688 kcal a day. I think I'm already near the higher end naturally and on most work days hang around 2,000 though I do end up feeling hungry. Luckily increasing protein will put paid to any hunger pangs.
The calculator states I should be eating between 248 - 310 grams of protein per day. Since the upper limit is around 10 whole chicken breasts I doubt I will actually be aiming for that higher end.† Eating a lot of protein though will help me stop feeling too hungry. I'm also going to be taking protein shakes following any gym workouts.
†Except maybe on big workout days.
- 1 egg
- 1/2 pint semi-skimmed milk
- 125 g porridge oats
- handful mixed berries
- Tbsp chopped pecans or almonds
- 2 tsp whey-protein powder
- tsp sesame seeds
- Tbsp plain yoghurt
- Whisk the egg in a microwaveable bowl.
- Add milk, protein powder and mix again.
- Add oats, berries, seeds and nuts.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Microwave for between 2-4 minutes (depending on your microwave) on full power until oats are cooked like porridge.
- Add a dollop of yoghurt, serve and enjoy!
'Reeses Pieces' Protein Shake
- 2 measures chocolate whey protein‡
- 2 Tbsp crunchy peanut butter
- Tbsp plain yoghurt
- 3/4 pint of milk
‡Most whey-powders come with their own measuring device, mine says to use two for a 500ml/pint shake.
- Place the whey protein, peanut butter and yoghurt into a food processor.
- Add milk until approximately at the 500ml/pint line.
- Put on maximum for 30 seconds.
- Pour into a cup and enjoy!