This week I bought many pumpkins and made pumpkin pie :DDue to the cheapness of ASDA pumpkins (2 for £2) this week I bought 12 pumpkins (mostly for carving!).
- 1lb prepared pumpkin flesh
- 3 oz brown sugar
- 1 large eggs plus one yolk
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ level teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground allspice
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 10 fl oz double cream
- sweet short crust pastry case*
*Yes I had to cheat this week and get ready-made
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C
- To make the filling, steam the pumpkin then place in a coarse sieve and press lightly to extract any excess water.
- Whisk the eggs and extra yolk together in a large bowl.
- Place the sugar, spices and the cream in a pan.
- Bring to simmering point
- Give it a whisk to mix everything together.
- Pour it over the eggs and whisk it again briefly.
- Now add the pumpkin pureé.
- Whisk to combine everything thoroughly.
- Pour the filling into your pastry case and bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Leave to cool
The Finished Article
Sadly this week I made my icing way too runny but here's a picture I took last time I got this right :)
P.S. Based on: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/pumpkinpie_70659