In which I shamelessly bow to the whims of the masses (one person who replied) and make red velvet cake.
- 650g butter
- 650g caster sugar
- 10 eggs
- 1 tbsp vanilla essence
- 650g self raising flour
- 75g cocoa powder
- 70ml red food colouring
- 300g icing sugar [icing]†
- 500g butter [icing]†
- blue food colouring [icing]†
†I generally just make the icing by eye so these aren't accurate measurements.
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C.
- Cream butter and sugar together.*
- Beat in a ⅓ of the eggs, a ⅓ of the flour and the vanilla essence.
- Beat in the second third of eggs and flour.
- Beat in the cocoa and remaining eggs and flour.
- Add the food colouring.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Grease two 9'' round cake tins.
- Place half the mixture in each tin.
- Bake for 1 hr 15 mins (use your judgement mine took a little longer).
- Leave to cool on a wire rack.
- Cream the icing sugar and butter together.
- Add blue food colouring.
- Mix well.
- Apply liberally to your cake.
- Enjoy :)
*You will need a LARGE bowl!